Monday, April 19, 2010

Ash the World Turns

Well, here we are, day 5 of the Icelandic volcano erruption's air traffic disruption, or Ash Attack as some are calling it. There are hundreds of thousands of people stranded all over the globe, unable to get back home to the UK, Ireland and 20 other European countries. This has now gone on longer than the September 11 air traffic grounding. Airlines are losing $200 million a day and other industries relying on air freight are starting to feel the effects as well. It's largely becoming a problem that the already recession-strained economy can not handle.

I feel horrible for all those stuck away from home. But in a completely self-absorbed tone, why-oh-why did this have to happen when my trip to Paris was scheduled? As our 7am Wednesday scheduled departure creeps closer with no change in the volcanic ash cloud forecast, I'm growing increasingly desperate. And this "act of god" is of course not covered by travel insurance. So not only are my chances of enjoying my holiday decreasing, but I will have to live with the fact that I've paid for the mostly non-refundable trip as well. Sigh.

With that said, I really just hope this gets resolved by next week, as we're expecting more visitors to the US. And I don't think I could stand it if their trip got cancelled as well.

1 comment:

  1. Have you thought about taking a train or renting a car? When I lived in England, the train was a cheap way to travel, but it isn't the quickest.

    ReplyDelete